Stomping Ground stomped about with the youth club at Heron Corn Mill in Beetham, aka the Mill Hoppers. We ran 6 sessions over 2016 as part of their youth program – 3 sessions with the younger group of 7 to 12 year olds, and 3 sessions with the newly formed older group of 13 to 16 year olds. We were blown away by the creativity and curiosity of these groups. They were keen to learn and take part in all we had to offer;
- ‘Life as a Coppice Worker’ working with local coppicer Sam Ansell from The Coppice Coop.
- Green Woodwork – making a bench from Ash.
- Cooking on fire.
- Fire lighting and tending.
- Making charcoal from wood and other natural materials.
- Building dens for us an the wildlife around us.
- Making a ‘water wall’ with recycled materials.
We had some fab feedback from some of the parents of these sessions including that Sam – pictured in the middle of the bench photo – has since joined a wood turning group!
Thank you to Heron Corn Mill for having us, Sam Ansell for his expertise in coppicing and all the kids who kept the sessions full of interest and curiosity. And we would urge anyone who hasn’t looked up activities at the Mill to do that – there’s lots of great stuff going on!